Saturday, November 28, 2015

Technology Speed

As one gets older, the world speeds up.  And at a pace that seems to increase exponentially.   Today I helped a friend pick out an electronic tablet mainly to send and receive e-mail.  This little tablet she chose probably has a dozen times the speed and power of the first PC I purchased only about twenty years or so ago.  Additionally, at only $50.00, it cost about 1/6 of the price I paid back then.  We never dreamed of built in cameras and webcams.  It was slow as cold syrup because a 56Kb modem was top of the line  I wasn't happy with Windows Explorer so I downloaded  Netscape Navigator.
I remember that took a number of hours to download and install.  Since then I have used Firefox and finally Google Chrome.  I was using Navigator when I heard about the new search engine named Google.  I was intrigued by the name knowing that mathematically a googol is a number big enough to count every elementary particle in the entire universe.  The only number bigger is a googolplex for which there is absolutely no conceivable use.  Anyway, Google was by invitation only though you could buy an invitation online.  I snapped one up posthaste and always wished there were some stock shares available then.  I still have my soul although I would have been sorely tempted to sell it for a thousand shares of Google stock.  I once knew a man who had a roommate in college that had an idea for a company he needed another $500.00 to start and offered Walter half of the company for a loan of that amount. Walter turned him down so Elmer managed to get the amount without giving half of Frito's Corn Chips to anyone.   Deep down I honestly got a computer like one of the characters on "King of the Hill."  He said "all you gotta do is put in 'nekid wimmin' and there they is."  I have always liked naked women rather than naked men.  They are so much more beautiful.
   But I digress.  I think both computers and cell phones have become so automated that in the case of a computer one can't actually do anything for themselves.  Gone are DOS commands.  You can't even get to DOS anymore.  Gone are floppy drives and a mouse is becoming useless.  Maybe it's about time to slow things down just a tad and let human people catch up,

No comments:

Post a Comment