Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Ancestors



                                                                        Deiterman



                                                                   Prasifka

      These are my immediate genetic last generation of forbears.  My father, the Deiterman family.  My father is second from the right in the first row and my grandfather third from the left, first row. My great grandfather, Edward came to Texas from Germany in 1857. He moved to Teutopolis, Illinois where my grandfather, Albert was born there and came with his family on a wagon train in November 1874 to Tours, Texas.  Edward and Albert each homesteaded 640 acres of rich farmland.  Two square miles each. They lived in the wagons for the first year and set up a school that Albert taught along with working the land getting it ready for the first spring crop planting.  Soon Crezanze Berger arrived from Wien, Germany.  She and Albert married and started making children.

     I've never understood how Albert managed to play baseball, play a trombone in a German band, serve his church, work a square mile of farmland, work in his blacksmith shop and still be able to father and raise 12 children.  He must have been a mighty man indeed.  When I met him his memory was lost to Alzheimer's and I've always regretted not being able to hear his stories first hand instead of through my dad's memories.

    

     John Prasifka and his mother, Petronila, left their home in Bordovice, Moravia after John's
father, Thomas, a coal miner died of black lung in 1851. They went to Bremen, Germany and          embarked  on a steam ship going to Galveston, Texas arriving in April of 1877.
John worked as a butcher, a lightening rod salesman, a coal miner, a hotel owner and grocery store owner. He married my grandmother, Mary in1893 when she was 16 years old and she gave birth to ten  children. With the help of her boys, she worked a hundred acre farm just outside Dallas, Texas while John sold it's output in his store in East Dallas. He died in 1942. I lived with him till just before he died. He taught me how to play checkers and dominos with him when I was three years old.




                                                                  




No comments:

Post a Comment