Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Latest Mobile Phones

      I might have written something about cell phones and smart phones. If it was more than a couple of weeks, it's total disinformation by now. The industry is rapidly changing as fast as consumers can accumulate enough money to buy the latest model which is reputedly able to shave  men every morning and women shave their legs every day.

     I bought a prepaid phone for about $14.00 a little over 10 years ago along with a card that was another $20.00 and good for 120 minutes of talking. Even though it was inadvertently left out in the backyard during a hurricane and laid out there in the sun for two weeks or so to dry out, all it needed was to charge the battery. To this day it still works fine.

     When I got old and poor, the government gave me a free Reagan phone with 500 minutes every month. It's just like my old prepaid phone except it has a camera. The old phone has a setting to download pictures you can't take with its imaginary camera. As I noted, the industry has made some improvements. My phones won't do anything except connect people to talk which is why I own them in the first place. People in public places look at me sadly and just can't believe I still drive a  Model-T when the new Thunderbird just became available.To me they are the same for going from point A to point B without getting rained on. Like my Timex gives me the same time as your Rolex at a tiny fraction of the cost,

     My first home landline number was 19. No dials, you simply picked up the receiver and a lady said "number, please." You gave her a number and she connected you up. She would even tell you the time if you asked. If you had a party line you could listen to other conversations. Just as you can now with a scanner that can set to cell phone frequencies. Who among us isn't curious about what other people talk about? I admit I am.

     The very best things about cell phones is their portability.  As well as the fact that everybody with an ear has one. It wasn't so long ago that people had to be at home or standing in a phone booth or close to a pay phone. If you took a survey I think it would show that phones have evolved faster than fruit flies or anything else except computer speed chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment