Sunday, August 14, 2016

Inaneness

      The process of asking silly questions and answering with absurd replies.  For an example; once I had run out of gas on a four lane divided roadway. Just ahead was a crossover so I decided to push the car to it and get out of the traffic flow. A patrol car pulled even and the cop inquired "won't it start?" to which I replied "yeah, but I wanted the exercise by pushing instead of driving." He gave me an angry look and drove off.

     One Sunday afternoon I was red-lighted by a squad car.  "The reason I stopped you is you were doing thirty mph through that school zone" to which I said " it's Sunday so according to the sign there is no school or zone here."  He felt like a fool and decided to check me out. He asked if I was wanted for anything? "Only my good looks" I replied. I love it when I have no outstanding traffic tickets or unpaid parking tickets and can answer inane questions with equally silly replies.

     Back in the late 1960's, I lived in Louisiana. A total solar eclipse was expected that coincided with Mardi Gras and could be viewed from New Orleans. A friend was visiting me and hearing about the solar event was looking forward to it. She asked me if it was cloudy or rainy on that date, would it be cancelled or postponed. In a serious tone I told her just to be safe, maybe she should plan on staying over a couple of days so as not to miss it. As fate would have it, the eclipse happened on a clear sunny afternoon. She cancelled her delayed trip and happily flew back to New York on her original schedule.

     Speaking of flying, a lady on a plane looking out her window saw the wing moving up and down as we encountered some turbulence. She asked ne about it and I told her "sure it was moving up and down like a bird's wing. That's what keeps us flying; it flaps for awhile then coasts for awhile until we land."  She went to sleep, secure in her new knowledge of airplanes and flight.

     Sometimes it's just too easy to ignore.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment